Friday, March 27, 2009

Three Pipe Problem



I've recently been working on a number of blowfish in the style of my Incubus shape. This is a shape I first conceived of sometime in 2005 and have made half a dozen them since. I think it pulls in many of the distinctive elements of my work while also paying homage to both my Danish and Japanese influences. I will likely put together a set of these for Chicago but, in the mean time, I'm just enjoying doing some variations on a theme. One of the things I find troubling about this shape, however, is that it exists as something of a complete composition even without the stem. That's all fine and good, except that every pipe has to have a stem . . . well at least if you want to smoke it. The problem is that most pipemakers I know really dislike cutting stems--including me--and it can produce something of a backlog. 

The original Incubus Blowfish circa 2005

Right now, I've got three stems to cut before moving on to any more shaping or finishing. This is just another example of how pipe making is one part creativity and two parts discipline. The stems for these pieces will be quite fancy, but there is something about cutting stems that feels more like work than an act of pure creation. When you see the finished pipe in your mind's eye, the really interesting bit is concluded when the shape comes off the shaping wheel. From there, you're faced with sanding, filing, more sanding, a bit more filing, and, oh yeah, more sanding. I'm not complaining, it's a relaxing and contemplative process, but truth be told, I'd prefer to be shaping than cutting stems. So I suppose the only way to solve this "three pipe problem" is to cut three stems. So Monday morning, I shall set to work filing, and sanding, and scraping, and polishing, until I have solved my three pipe problem, and I have three lovely Incubi to show for my efforts. 

3 comments:

  1. Such a conundrum, when one has so much creativity flowing through their hands, the mundane and tedium of stems is understandably a chore. Yet, I view most of your stem work to be highly creative and very detailed.
    As far as I'm concerned, you could stick a straw in the pipe and it would still be a beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bruce. If you'll commit to buy all three of them, I'll bring down three of the kids' twisty straws and call the pipes done. Otherwise I suspect I'll still need to cut stems for them . . . :)

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was admiring the stem on the canted egg in my collection this morning as I took it off my rack to smoke today. Your stem work is beautiful, comfortable, and adds value to the compositions of the pipes I have by you. When I look to buy a pipe, one of the things I look most closely at is stem design because it must meet strict utilitarian and aesthetic criteria. You might not like making them much, but it doesn't show in the quality of the work.

    ReplyDelete